Friday, August 20, 2010

jovial


\JOH-vee-ul\

adjective

1 capitalized : of or relating to Jove
2 : markedly good-humored especially as evidenced by jollity and conviviality

The Jove in the first definition refers to (forgive any obviousness; I had to remind myself what this meant) the planet Jupiter, named after Roman god Jove, god of the sky and thunder. In Rome, you were thought to share traits with the god whose planet was rising at the time of your birth, i.e., born under Jupiter, you would be JOVIAL.

I just spent twenty minutes trying to locate the planet rising at the time of my birth. I discovered the moon was in its first quarter, I was born in the Chinese year of the monkey, my date of conception was approximately Christmas of 1979 (way to go Dirty Joe and Dizzy Jane), my "life path" number is 7, as of today I am 10,930 days old, and Jean Piaget died when my mother was in labor. But I could not find what planet was rising.

Jean Piaget is best known for his theories on genetic epistemology and child psychology, although he began his studies in the field of mollusks.

I pause to realize the "planet rising" may have something to do with astrological signs. If that is the case, the "ruling planet" for Virgo is Mercury—winged messenger of god known for adaptability and resourcefulness, restlessness, and communication and wisdom associated with the mind.

If not, it looks like I'll have to obtain a 1980 almanac to figure this out. I can't BELIEVE this information is unobtainable on the internet. I'm aghast.

No comments:

Post a Comment