1 : a friend going with a bridegroom to fetch home the bride in ancient Greece; also : the bridesmaid conducting the bride to the bridegroom
2 : a : best man; b : bridesmaid
Modern American PARANYMPHAL traditions/responsibilities:
- Attend/plan: engagement party, bridal shower, bachelorette party, rehearsal dinner, WEDDING, farewell brunch. Attendance also often expected at: dress shopping, cake tasting, facility rental, tradition research, stuffing of envelopes, and making of party favors.
- Offer emotional support to bride AT ALL COSTS
- Execute "last minute rescues," i.e.: straightening out a bunched veil or a drunk ex-girlfriend
- DO NOT upstage the bride by looking better/sexier/happier
According to suite101.com, there are also several activities a modern PARANYMPH can undertake to go above and beyond her call of duty:
- Create a PowerPoint presentation for the wedding speeches or bridal shower.
- Take photos of the whole process, from wedding dress shopping to cake tasting.
Send champagne, strawberries, and flowers to the bridal suite for the wedding night.- Write a poem, paint a portrait, or make something special that celebrates the bride and groom. Use your unique talents and skills to create something special for the wedding couple.