Sunday, April 25, 2010

repartee


\rep-er-TEE\

noun

1 a : a quick and witty reply b : a succession or interchange of clever retorts : amusing and usually light sparring with words
2 : adroitness and cleverness in reply

At the end of a witty exchange with a customer the other day, he said to me, "You know, I really appreciate your witty REPARTEE. It's refreshing."

I felt extremely honored he had said that to me.

Although I feel my knack for REPARTEE has always been present, brewing, eating at my insides, it took many years to emerge. I was a shy child and there were a handful of reasons I never spoke, even if I did have something to say (I will attribute the bulk of this to Marcie Gellar once asking me, "What's the matter Candace, cat got your tongue?" Why would I ever speak after that. Why?).

Now that I have warmed up to the human race a bit, a bit, I find it easier to be, well, honest. And honesty is usually funny. At least in my case, because I don't take myself very seriously, or seriously at all, really. Hence the REPARTEE. I'm not trying to be witty, per se. It just comes out that way.

People like honesty.

Here's some more honesty: I think this blog entry is lazy. I actually rode my bike around town all day because it's really nice out, and I think that's more important than sitting in my room writing about REPARTEE. But, I came home and still went through with it. The blog, that is.

I apologize for my laziness. Well, not really, I had a good time.

Can't...stop...telling...the...truth...


No comments:

Post a Comment