Sunday, July 18, 2010

agita


\AJ-uh-tuh\

noun

: a feeling of agitation or anxiety

Surprisingly, this word derives from the Italian acido and not the Latin verb agere, which inspires the English agitate. Agere means "to drive or urge" while acido means "acid or heartburn." Leave it to the Italians to emphasize the effects and not the cause of anxiety.

I woke up this morning with a bit of AGITA, not literally heartburn, but agitation. I'm inclined to say something like "the wrong side of the bed," as though that saying means anything. There's only one side from which to dismount my bed as it is, unless I did something weird like slid down to the bottom, but who does that. I didn't do that.

I just noticed that I was unusually irritated. I hated that the cats were meowing and that I knocked over the precarious container of serrated knives and chopsticks and that nobody but myself takes the initiative to refill the water jugs. I want to take the easy way out and blame hormones, but I usually think that's a cop out.

cop out : an idiom meaning to avoid taking responsibility for an action or to avoid fulfilling a duty

Maybe it was because I had a weird dream that I got arrested for confessing to having intentions to vandalize a Church. Not even actually doing it, just intending to. The cop threaded a fish hook connected to a chain through the roof of my mouth and hooked the other end into my inner thigh. They had a name for this binding in my dream, but I can't recall. I was trying to think of who could bail me out, and I had no idea. All I could think about was that on job applications I would now have to say I had a criminal record.

Cooked peppers. That's what causes me heartburn. Not in salsa, but in hot dishes and such. Too bad.

I need to turn my AGITA around, otherwise it's going to be a long day.


No comments:

Post a Comment