Friday, December 17, 2010

philately


\fuh-LAT-uh-lee\

noun

: the collection and study of postage and imprinted stamps : stamp collecting

The world saw its first adhesive postage stamp in 1840. Twenty some-odd years later, the word PHILATELY (the Greek roots phil [loving] + ateleia [tax exemption]) hit the scene to designate a growing population fascinated with the sticky rectangles. And in 1886 the APS (American Philatelic Society) formed to house a growing community of stamp lovers. The organization boasts 35,000+ members in 110 countries. In trying to find the world's most famous PHILATELIST, I discovered only the world's most famous stamp: the 1856 one-cent "Black on Magenta" from British Guiana. It has changed hands several times; at the last auction sale in 1980 the stamp sold for $935,000.

I could go on but, really, all I want to say right now is, "What have you done for me PHILATELY? Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, yeah."

That's where I'm at right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment