Saturday, December 4, 2010

vociferous


\voh-SIF-uh-rus\

adjective

: marked by or given to vehement insistent outcry

VOCIFEROUS is the third in a series of words this past week having to do with sound (following cacophony and plangent). I'm running out of things to talk about regarding sound. I've already talked about screaming children, so that's out. I keep rereading the above phrase: vehement insistent outcry. Is this really necessary under any circumstances? I suppose if someone has locked you in a refrigerator you might want to exercise your VOCIFEROUSNESS, but I assume the above refers more to complaining children or incessant protestors: both irritating, even if you agree/sympathize with their plight.

I read this word and it instantly makes me want to say, "Shut up." I don't even know to whom this is addressed.

Just, Shut up.




No comments:

Post a Comment