Thursday, May 20, 2010

bully pulpit


\BULL-ee-PULL-pit\

noun

: a prominent public position (as a political office) that provides an opportunity for expounding one's views; also : such an opportunity

Am I crazy to say that I'm not quite sure how any prominent public position can not be a BULLY PULPIT? I mean, a position of prominence means people listen to you, whether they like or agree with what you happen to be saying matters little. What matters is that you have a venue to say something in which people will at least hear you. And since, I am assuming, you are human, you have views, opinions, agendas, no matter how subconscious they may seem in your altruistic head. In fact, I would go as far as saying any human that has ever interacted with another human has partaken in an act of BULLY PULPITTING. You speak because you want to be heard. You want to be heard because you have something to say. You have something to say because that is totally normal. Even if you don't have anything to say, that is saying something. She denied any comment. That speaks volumes.

This is why people have friends. They want to feel like their opinion means something. Of course, there are additional reasons to have friends, but if you didn't have anyone to listen to why you think those stupid parasite-like phones that clip onto people's ears are the most useless pieces of shit ever made and they make you embarrassed to be alive, then, well, I don't know what.

As I expound my afternoon away...

1 comment: