Saturday, May 8, 2010

hoity-toity


\hoy-tee-TOY-tee\

adjective

1: thoughtlessly silly or frivolous : flighty
2: marked by an air of assumed importance : highfalutin

Interestingly enough (well, to me anyway), I use the term HOITY-TOITY on a fairly regular basis. Most recently I used it to describe the buttfuck of an oral surgeon who removed my baby tooth (I promise this is the last time I will mention him). For me, the term is appropriate for one who is rich, snobby, arrogant, displays a blatant sense of entitlement or all of the above.

It's funny how descriptors like HOITY-TOITY seem to be on rotation. For example, HOITY-TOITY replaced my use of "better-than-thou" which most likely replaced the use of some other term I cannot recall. I have one friend who calls these types of people "suits," another who refers to them as "muckety-mucks," and another who describes them simply as "fancy."

And I have to admit, I did not realize highfalutin was actually a word. Albeit its designation as informal, the dictionary defines this term as such: pompous; bombastic; haughty; pretentious. I want to start using this word; perhaps it will usurp HOITY-TOITY's place in my vernacular.

On another note, I also want to bring back the phrase: I would shit twice and die, courtesy of Molly Ringwald's character in Sixteen Candles. One could even make it into a catchy acronym: STAD.

OMG I totes STAD.

[I'm so old.]

No comments:

Post a Comment