Saturday, May 22, 2010

lily-livered


\LILL-ee-LIV-erd\

adjective

: lacking courage : cowardly

For the majority of my nearly thirty years, I did not drink alcohol for two reasons: my mother and my father. My mother is a social-only drinker, a glass of wine at a party or charity event kind of woman. She is also a woman of moderation, in every sense—money, food, emotion. Excessiveness was heavily frowned upon in my household. She always talked about drinking as though it were a bad restaurant that one shouldn't bother trying, in such a way that really made me not want to go there.

My father was an alcoholic. The smell of liquor conjures up memories of his breath as he kissed my cheek, a scent preceding any interaction I ever had with an actual drink. I didn't spend much time with him, of course, but in the time we did spend, he was almost always under the influence. One time when I was in high school, my friend Amy and I were stuck at the mall without a ride home. My father was the last resort, but he offered to pick us up. When he arrived, he bought us dinner at Knickerbockers, a crappy American restaurant attached to the mall. While we ate he sat in the bar. When we finished he gave us each $20 and told us to go shopping while he had another drink. We returned an hour later to find him sloshed; he drunkenly introduced us to another drunken man at the bar and kissed both me and Amy on the cheek. We called my brother for a ride home.

Up until this last year, the amount of alcohol I consumed added up to less than one of those squat little cans of soda stewardesses hand you on an airplane. I just never drank. It grossed me out, and drunkenness was exceedingly unappealing to me in many ways. Only recently have I began drinking, mostly because I'm tired of carrying the burden of a stigma my parents introduced twenty-five years ago. If I'm going to not do something, I want to not do it for my own reasons, not theirs. Fair enough.

But I have to admit how, for lack of a better term, intimidating alcohol is to me. In my head it is built up as a poisonous device that will rob me of all self-control, a virtue I hold onto like a wallet on a NYC subway train. During my first actual confrontations with alcoholic beverages, I felt a bit LILY-LIVERED; sips were scary and exciting, like a first kiss—you want to take the plunge, but you don't know where it may lead. But it wasn't only the physical effects that were scary; it was also scary to do something I had talked myself out of for a long time. It was scary to push my boundaries, to be outside of myself.

But not really outside. It was still me. It is still me. I'm just synthesizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment